Thursday, June 17, 2010

I wanna know who said Wheaties is the breakfast cereal of champions.


Because I would have to disagree. Not even respectfully.

When I was growing up we would take our vacations to my Grandma and Grandpa's house in Southern California. It was always so much fun. All my cousins lived there and we would play in Grandma's pool for hours. After we got out of the pool we would either walk down to Donut Man or watch Innerspace using Grandpa's GINORMOUS magnifying glass. Why, you might ask? Because that was the only VHS they had that was entertaining.

Besides the swimming and the awesome movie collection, we could always count on one thing. They had Golden Grahams. My mom never bought sugar cereal - unless it was on sale and she had a coupon she could use at Vons on the double-day. Now, I wouldn't say that Golden Grahams is a sugar SUGAR cereal, but it sure beat Total. Our family would ration that box. It had to last 3 days between 3 kids, and that's only if the cousins didn't spend the night and sleep in the organ room (thats a musical instrument, not a room where they kept a bunch of body parts in jars with formaldehyde). You can bet your pants that we tried to convince any extra kids that Grape Nuts were way better than GG.

As you all know, one of the perks of being an adult is getting to pick the cereal. Double G is always in the house, usually several boxes. That's just how we roll around here. But lately we have seen a trend developing. We are blowing through boxes. We are on our 5th box in 4 weeks. That may not sound fast to other families, but our family is small. Our children are small. Steve and I have cereal maybe twice a week. It's the little people doing all the damage. I am even going to go out on a limb and say it's mainly the female child. She has an addiction.

And it must be eaten a certain way...

Pour cereal in bowl -- Pour milk on cereal -- Let milk soak in until cereal is disgustingly soggy --Hand bowl to child with spoon -- Child will use spoon for a couple bites -- Child resorts to hands. Both of them -- Repeat every 4-5 hours.

Can't say I blame her. I've been there myself.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I laughed so hard, because I too have been there.

My Mom never bought sugar cereal except for two occasions - She always bought Cap't Crunch for her beloved son [my icky brother] and if we were lucky my sister and I got Frosted Mini Wheats once and a while.

And I have to agree with Sarah - pour cereal, pour milk, get soggy - but SkippyMom tries to stick to the spoon. :D

Double Gs [love the name you tagged them] are incredibly popular here too - but we usually stick with Raisin Bran, Frosted Mini Wheats [95% of your daily iron, low in sodium BONUS!] and the Chex and Cheerios.

Oh crap. I am my Mother.

[off to buy Fruit Loops!] :D

Love ya guys.

Janae said...

Funny because I *LOVE* that cereal, too!!

Love the pic with the cute belly button. :)