Back in my BC days I was a teacher. (I know that may surprise a lot of you who read this blog because my grammar stinks, but back then I was careful about sentence composition and stuff like that). I was one of those teachers who assigned homework every night and expected it brought back completed the next morning. I was always astonished when the little kid who sat in the back of the class and picked his nose would show up with no homework. He would always have an excuse, but often it was, "we didn't have any pencils at home." I worked in an affluent school zone. The kids were all from families who could afford pencils, so I knew that wasn't the reason why it wasn't done. I figured that was just the first excuse that came to their mind after they were questioned about it.
.
I need to repent. I now believe that little kid. I believe him because my boy is now that little kid -I just hope he isn't picking his nose.
.
Last night we were getting ready to sit down and complete his assigned page of homework. I told him to go get a pencil and he came back and said he couldn't find one. I told him he wasn't looking hard enough and needed to go try again. After about 5 minutes repeating the same conversation I decided to join him in the hunt. He was right. There were no working pencils. Every pencil in our house was broken, missing lead or new. I grabbed a dull pencil and went for the pencil sharpener. That too was missing. I searched a good 10 minutes for something that would work. I even contemplated using my eyeliner sharpener as a pencil sharpener, but decided that I didn't want to walk up stairs whittling with a kitchen knife would work better. I was actually impressed with my whittling skills. I kind of got obsessed with making a perfect, symmetrical point.
.
I am happy to report we finished his assignment, only 15 minutes past his bedtime. We spent about 15 minutes searching for a writing tool, 5 minutes taking pictures of broken pencils, 5 minutes carving pencils and a whopping 5 minutes writing his alphabet.






5 comments:
You know what you are getting for Christmas, don't you?
hee
This post totally made me laugh out loud and Matt is laying here by me asleep. This was my story tonight as well! Darn pencils. Can't they come sharpened already?! There is currently a post it on my fridge that says (In Sharpie) BUY PENCIL SHARPENER on it. lol
I once asked for a pencil sharpener for my birthday. That was all I wanted, and not a cheap sharpener, a NICE electric pencil sharpener. One that I didn't have to wonder where it was and if it would work, I wanted reliable and easy to use. Marc came through and now we have an AWESOME pencil sharpener! Definitely worth the investment! :)
I got your comment [thanks]. NOW what am I supposed to buy you guys for Christmas? jeesh Amy. Nice way to go shopping. ::giggling:: so kidding I hope you know.
Post a Comment