Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't let her fool you.

She looks so innocent, doesn't she...



Okay, she is totally innocent, and so sweet, but she about put me in the nut house the past two nights.

We have been out of town on a family road trip. We decided we needed to get away for a bit, so we packed up the family and drove to St. George, UT for a couple of days. We had a great time... during the hours normal people are awake.

SATURDAY NIGHT
9:30 pm - I send Thomas and Steve out to explore our hotel while I nurse Clara and get her to calm down and go to bed.

9:35 - Clara decides she is too much of a big girl to nurse and pushes me away. This has been happening more and more lately, but I was really trying to get her to nurse so she would fall asleep.

9:45 - I finally get her calm and she is resting her head on my shoulder. I look at the clock and make a mental note that she will be asleep by 10:00 pm.

9:55 - Steve and Thomas come back to the room, quietly, but the not quiet enough for her.

9:56 - Start over.

9:56-10:30 - Stand up rocking back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. It's not working.

10:30- I make a call to Steve. Time to come back to the room, we're going on a drive to put her to sleep.

10:35- We all get into the car because we realize we need some drinking water for our room and if Steve drives, I can eat my hot-fudge sundae they brought home for me.

10:36 - We realize it was a huge mistake to put Clara back into the van with Thomas sitting next to her. There is nothing but laughing and happy squealing going on in the back.

10:45- Clara and I sit in van while Thomas and Steve make a grocery run.

10-45-11:10 - We drive around playing the quiet game. This works well for about while until Steve and I start talking to each other and we get busted by Thomas.

11:15 - Clara is finally asleep and we make our way back to the room.

11:16-11:25 - I sit in the van with Clara while Steve takes Thomas into the hotel room to get settled and into bed. I wait for the sign, drapes will open when it is safe to come in.

11:25.30 - Clara starts to whimper. Just as I turn around to shove a binky in her mouth I turn around to see that the sign has been set.

11:31 - I get her calmed down and take her in the room. She is awake, but drowsy enough to lay down.

11:31-12:00 She sleeps

12:00-7:00 She comes to bed with me and spends the night sleeping on top of me, next to me, or with her feet in my face.

SUNDAY NIGHT

8:00 - The boys drop me and Clara off after dinner. I am going to put her down while they go walk around the temple.

8:00-8:30 - She is beyond tired. She is overly-tired. Every parent knows this is the Bermuda Triangle of toddler sleeping. NOTHING is working. Thomas and Steve come back and I decide to grab the keys, my phone, and wallet and take off for another drive.

8:32 - She is OUT before I have even made it 2 miles. I decide I better drive around just to make it stick, not to mention driving in complete silence is a great thing to calm the nerves.

8:45- I pull into the hotel parking lot, just as it starts raining. Great, nothing like a little water in the face to wake up a sleeping baby.

8:46 - We make it into the hotel, and miraculously, she is still asleep.

8:47 - I make it back to the room and she is out. Snoring so loud the people next door probably heard her.

8:47-10:00 - She's out, we are quietly laying on the bed with Thomas watching TV.

10:00 - She's up, and not happy at all.

10:00-10:30 - We try and ignore her and let her get fall asleep on her own. We all lay in bed quietly and try to pretend we don't hear her.

10:31- She is getting loud, and I don't want to bother the neighbors anymore.

10:32 - I grab my stuff again, and we head to the car. This time I am in my lovely pajamas that have bacon and eggs all over them.

10:32-10:50 - We drive around town, AGAIN. This time it takes her longer to fall asleep.

10:50- We make it back to the hotel. She wakes up when the nice man opens the hotel door for me. She probably heard his inner monologue questioning my choice of attire.

10:52 - We make it back to our room. I try nursing her once again. She takes it, and falls asleep for 10 hours. Victory. Exhaustion.

6 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Oh Amy - We never travelled when ours were wee ones like yours, but on our trip this weekend with 4 of us in one room it was near impossible for everyone to sleep at once. I cannot imagine trying to do it with Clara, poor thing.

Did you have a nice trip otherwise? Maybe? :)

Karen said...

That story is why I hate travelling with toddlers. Ugh. Home sweet home, right!?

Jessica said...

lol, that sounds like my summer! I love traveling, I hate having to stay over night! At least you were finally able to get some sleep

Gardners said...

So, how was your weekend?

Michelle said...

That sounds a little too familiar!

Greenmare said...

Lord if that didn't bring back memories! My "baby" is 15 and remember packing all four girls up to drive around so she would nap. The others were a good bit older than her so they were excellent about staying nice and quiet so she'd zonk out. thank goodness gas was relatively inexpensive in 1994!