Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ice Cream Cone Cupcake Would-be Tutorial

Today was Thomas' preschool graduation. We had a lovely swim party and BBQ over at one of the homes . I was in charge of bringing the dessert. I wanted to bring something fun and "summer-y" so I decided I would made ice cream cone cupcakes.

When I was growing up, the lady across the street from us made these for her daughters birthday party at the skating rink. I thought they were sooo cool - not really good - but pretty darn spiffy. I went online and found instructions. You were supposed to bake the batter in the cones - which is how I remembered them. When I was reading the instructions it said to bake them the day you were going to eat them, or else the cones would get soggy - which is how I remember them.
Thomas and I were up at 6:15 this morning and ready to make our cupcakes. I had the batter made and all the cones inside the muffin pan. I couldn't remember the amount of batter to put in the cones (I know myself very well and know I tend to over do things, I knew I would over fill the cones and I would have a mess on my hands.) so I jumped online and typed in ice cream cone cupcakes in google and came up with an entirely different cupcake - one that was bigger and better. Plus, I didn't have to bake the cupcakes in the cones, I could bake them in normal muffin tins.

So here it goes...

1. Fill the bottom of 12 ice cream cones with candy.

2. Frost the tops of your cupcake and then place them upside-down on top of the cone. I had to break off the edges of my cupcakes because they were too big (see - I over fill things!).

3. Frost the entire cupcake.
Seems to be going well, wouldn't you say. Then this happened.

4. Do NOT place the cupcakes back into the tin and think that you will be able to transport them...anywhere...like even the other counter that is only 5 feet away.


5. If you do think you can move them on a tray, or anything else, this is what you will end up with.

6. Then, if you have a little person, they will be beyond thrilled that cupcakes are all over the table and free for the taking.


7. After the cupcakes are obliterated, you will then need to run to the store and buy over-priced cupcakes.

Here is the lone survivor.

(Can you tell how tired my child is? He was up way too early and spent a couple hours swimming in the heat. It is 4:00 pm as I am typing this, and he still hasn't fallen asleep! )

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I made those for Weston's birthday this year, and they are EXTREMELY difficult to transport without destroying! I literally drove 5-10 miles an hour the entire way to the park because I was paranoid about it, and even with such great care a bunch of them got ruined.
(I think I ticked off a bunch of drivers too!:)

Darrell and Alissa said...

I see the recipe for those on the backs of Betty Crocker cakes- (cause she is my hero)but haven't ever tried them for fear they would be WAY too much work. You tried it for me and now I won't have to!!

millisa said...

this is a total representation of my life...any time i try and do stuff like this, it never fails, it falls and gets squashed! i love the pics of them laying in all different directions. at least the kiddos were there to help with the mess :)

SkippyMom said...

when I read the title I literally laughed out loud - sorry :(

You are a good sport and the ones that did turn out [before you moved them] look really nice.

I am trying to think of a way to transport them, but I got nothing. :)