About a month ago I started to participate in the Bountiful Baskets Co-op. I'm loving it. Every Saturday I go down to the park and pick up my huge basket of fruits and veggies. I make it a point to consume everything before the following week, even if I am scared of something that is unfamiliar. The first week I had 3 mangos in my basket. I thought I didn't like mangos. I started searching the Internet to find recipes and found one for mango bread. It was the most delicious bread I have ever made. It had mangos and coconut, it was so good that I ate one piece and sent the rest with Steve to the clinic. I knew if I didn't give it away I would eat both loaves by the time Steve got home from work. I have no self control.
This last week the bonus prize in the basket was eggplant. I've had it once or twice. I think I liked it, but it didn't leave any lasting impression on me. Once again I scoured the Internet trying to find a recipe. I struck gold! I made these sandwiches for dinner tonight and both Steve and I were blown away. I'm sure you could un-fat it a bit by using lite-mayo, but come on - why? I am only concerned with my sugar intake right now so bring on the full fat mayo!
Eggplant Sandwiches
1 eggplant, halved and sliced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup mayo
2 cloves garlic (I used 2 large cloves and it was pretty strong. If garlic offends you, use less)
French sandwich rolls
Roma Tomato
Feta Cheese
Fresh Basil
1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Brush eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place cookie sheet with eggplant about 6 inches from the heat source. Cook under the broiler for 10 minutes, or until tender and toasted. They will look a little dry, but they are perfectly fine.
2. Split French rolls and toast. (I put a little butter on each side and stuck it under the broiler)In a small bowl stir together the mayo and garlic. Spread the mayo mixture on the toasted bread and top with eggplant, tomato, basil, and a little bit of feta cheese.






3 comments:
Low fat mayonnaise is of the devil. I tried it once [it is lower in salt for me] and can I just say? NO.
Those sandwiches look amazing! I wonder if I could use a different cheese tho'? I LOVE feta, but Pooldad doesn't. Mozzarella maybe?
[Great pic btw - so now you are a food stylist too? Is there nothing you can't do woman!!! :D]
Hugs and have a great weekend.
I think mozzerella would be fine. I would use the buffalo mozzerella like they use in caprese salads.
We roast eggplant, too! Isn't it yummy that way? And, we also do bountiful baskets... which we love except that the truck is like 2 hours late half the time! :)
By the way, I have to completely agree with SkippyMom, who I'm sure has a different name in real life - I too once made the horrific mistake of buying low fat mayo. It is DEFINITELY of the devil! In my opinion, it is a culinary abomination that should be done away with forever!
Post a Comment