Clara has gotten herself into quite a love affair with her binks. In the matter of 2 or 3 months they have gone from novelty to necessity. She must have them! She must know where each and every one is. She carries them in her purse, keeps them in her play kitchen and happily shoves them down her shirt hoping that her cleavage will keep them safe. (Unfortunately, she learned that one from me. That was my hiding spot until she figured out how to pull down my shirt and locate them).
Last week we decided to only let her have them when she was in bed. After she made her way downstairs and was involved with a carton of yogurt and a her favorite episode of Curious George, I snuck around the house and collected all the binkies from her favorite hiding spots. I thought maybe I could keep her entertained enough to forget about them and go on with her day. How wrong I was. About 15 minutes after the confiscation I heard a scream from upstairs. It was one word - and it was loud..."BINKIES!!!" She said it over and over again screaming at the top of her lungs. I made my way upstairs to her room and found her next to her bed sobbing. I felt so bad for taking away her lifeline so I did what every other mother who is a HUGE pushover would have done. I opened the top drawer to her dresser where I had them hidden and handed every one of them back to her.
We'll try again in a month or so when I am sure it will be so much easier.





8 comments:
Amy I am absolutely not one to give parenting advice. I find it obnoxious and I hated when other people did it to me because no one knows my kid like I do [and I am not uppity, you know]
But I have to impart a little wisdom my Mom gave me a long time ago. She said "You never see a classmate on the first day of kindergarten wearing a diaper or carrying a bottle, do you?"
And she is right. I have sent five off to school and not one had a diaper, a bottle, a binkie or stuffie animal - they were big people now, y'know?
Clara will give it up when she is ready and I feel for you when you worry about this. Really no big deal. She'll decide.
If there is one thing I am absolutely assured of is that you and Thomas are SPECTACULAR parents and you will continue to do fine by your kids.
Sorry I gave some parenting advice [I think Chris from "Mr. Storage" will now hunt me down LOL] but I want you to know that we all think the world of you.
Hugs. and BINKIES!!!!!!!!!!
I think you and Thomas are wonderful parents too:)
Ugg, I don't ever look forward to the binki battle. I am a mean mom and have taken them away before they turn one, my pediatrition gave me some good advoce on it. But the bottome line is - what can you handle as a mom?~ Baylee is VERY attached to her binkies- I can't even fathom taking them from her in the next fewmonths- so I may be with you on hiding them and them giving them right back!!
I do have to chuckle about the comment begore on never meeting a child who goes to school in diapers..... I have lived by that, but last year I DID in fact meet a little girl who was SIX YEARS OLD and still had her pacifieer! I don't mock, cause I know if I did Baylee will be 6 and not letting go of hers...
Please don't think I'm giving you parenting advice either- I am not one to do that, I pray every night that I don't screw up my girls!
Yeah, it's late and I have a lot of typos in my last comment, I better go to bed!
I am so glad to know I am not the only one who gives in sometimes! My heart breaks when I see those big, genuine tears of perceived betrayal in the eyes of a little one!
And really, it's not that big of a deal, right? I think SkippyMom has the right idea.
My philosophy, not that you asked, is not to even think about it until they're done with napping. Otherwise it's a double wammy, you get a sad AND tired baby.
Good luck. Don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want to do just because it's "politically correct" or "socially correct". You love your baby and will do what's best for her - even if it means she keeps it until she's 5. Bear in mind, you can't take thumbs away. If she was a thumb sucker, you probably wouldn't even be worrying about this.
my aunt always said, they definitely will not go to college with a bink ;) you're fine. she'll get over it when she is ready :)
How can you resist that sweet binkie sucking face! I would have cave in an instant!! Good luck.
Post a Comment