The one where you lie to the pediatrician and say that your child does eat well. Oh absolutely!They do eat veggies and fruit! Even though you know very well they spit out anything has any kind of fruity or veggie texture.
That's why I don't have the heart to tell Clara that her favorite meal is bursting at the seams with stuff I want her to eat. She thinks that just because it has some pasta in it, there is no danger for fruit/veggie cross contamination. If she only knew what I was feeding her...
Pasta Fagoli
1 T olive oil
2 pounds ground beef
2 onions - chopped
1 pound carrots - chopped
1 pound celery - chopped
3 cans diced tomatoes (16 oz size)
2 cups red kidney beans
2 cups white kidney beans or great northern beans
88 ounces of beef stock (I just use water and beef bullion)
2 tsp oregano
2 1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
48 ounces of Spaghetti sauce ( I use Prego)
8 ounces dry pasta - take your pick, any shape will work
Brown beef in oil in a LARGE pot (at least 10 qt size). Add onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse beans and add to the pot. Also add beef stock, oregano, pepper, Tabasco, spaghetti sauce. Simmer until carrots are tender. Add the pasta about 20 minutes before serving.
This makes 9 quarts of soup. I divide it into thirds. With one portion, we usually eat it for dinner one night and have it for lunch during the week. I stick the other two portions in separate food saver bags and seal it up. It freezes really well.





3 comments:
This looks so good and easy! My kids love this kind of stuff and believe me they do get easier to feed veggies to, heehee.
I found out way after my kids were little [this would've been good to know when they were Clara and Thomas' ages] that the younger the child the sharper their taste buds and sense of texture - which is why so many little kids don't like stuff adults like - it made sense after my kids were older :) - but you probably know all this, right? Ah, I was late to the game. Heehee.
Hope you have a nice weekend. Stay warm
Sigh. We're still in that phase and my kids won't go near any type of bean either. This looks yummy though!!
you sneaky girl you!
Post a Comment