Steve's way of letting the entire neighborhood know that it was my birthday
Saturday was my birthday, and it was a big one. 35. Thirty-five? Really? Not possible. However, it is. I am old enough to drive a car, be a wife, be a mom, and own my own puke pail. Seriously, that is a thought that I had the other day when I was caring for my sick kids. I thought to myself, "when did I get old enough to own my own puke pail?" I actually find myself asking a lot of questions like that. Questions like, "How is it possible for me to be graduated from college?" Or "When did I become old enough to worry about laugh lines?"
.
anywho...
.
Back to my birthday. For the most part it was fabulous. Probably one of the best ones I ever had. I think it was because it was a simple day and I was surrounded by my family. On Birthday Eve, as Steve and I were drifting off to sleep I informed him that anytime after midnight, if either of the kids should wake up, he was in charge. I also told him that I would be sleeping in and he would be responsible for entertaining any early riser.
.
It was a good plan. Clara was up at a respectable time and I am not a person who can sleep in, so I got up with her and we had a great morning. Steve and Thomas both slept in until 10 am while us girls cuddled together and watched reruns of Curious George.
I made my way back upstairs after I heard some noises and told Steve I wanted some donuts for breakfast. Within 5 minutes he was out the door and on his way to my favorite donut shop to get me a buttermilk bar and rainbow sprinkle. Yes, I ate 2. I was the birthday girl and calories do not count on birthdays.
.
The 4 of us spent the rest of the morning together. We didn't do anything spectacular, we just were together.
.In the early afternoon, Clara went down for a nap and Steve took Thomas out to run some errands leaving me all alone. ALL ALONE ON MY BIRTHDAY!!! HOT DIGITY!!! I had 3 hours all to myself. I finally was able to watch the Masterpiece Theatre version of Emma I had been saving on the TIVO for almost a month. I got to sit and watch it in my PJ's without anyone interrupting me.
About 30 minutes into the movie, It dawned on me that I was all alone and I could break out my illegal peanut butter I have hidden in a very secret place. It's pretty sad that a PB and honey can make you giddy, but when your kid has nut allergies and you can't have any nuts around, a simple PB sandwich is heaven.
.
The boys got home around the same time Clara woke up and we went out for a nice dinner with my other favorite person, my Mom. We had a great time. However, in the middle of dinner things started to change - for the worse. Remember the puke pail comment? (Both of the kids came down with a horrible, violent stomach bug late Thursday night. Steve and I thought that it must have been food poisoning for them both to get it within hours of each other.) During dinner I started to feel strange. My stomach didn't hurt, but I felt weird. I had a feeling that I was getting sick - that I was going to be the next person to have possession of the puke pail. I also started to change my theory on what had made the kids so sick two nights ago. I knew at that point it had been the dreaded stomach flu.
.
In the car on the way home I was telling Steve and my Mom how I felt strange. I even made the stupidest comment ever and said, "I hope I do get flu." I only said it because I was feeling a little guilty for all the junk I had eaten all day. I thought it would be a nice little gift to be able to puke everything up and have it not count.
.
What a stupid, STUPID comment! Sure enough, 2 hours after we had made it home I was in the bathroom having my wish granted. It was the worst stomach flu I have EVER had. It was violent. I was up all night long. Steve took such good care of me. I told him to go down and sleep on the couch, but he ended up sleeping on the floor so he could help me if I needed him. It was an awful night. Around 4:30 am Steve sat up and had a very familiar look on his face. The same one I had at dinner. Sure enough, he was sick, too.
.
We finally fell asleep at 6:00 am and woke up at 7:30. Steve and I were in such bad shape. I called my mom. As soon as she answered the phone she knew that I was sick. I told her both of us were down and that we needed her help.
.
She was at the house within 45 minutes. She packed up the kids and took them for the the day and had them spend the night. Steve and I spent the day in bed trying to sleep and recuperate. It was very strange to be in such a quite house. We missed our kids, but we knew that there was no way we would have been able to take care of them.
.
Lucky for us it was only a 24 hour bug. Both of us woke up this morning feeling fantastic in comparison to yesterday.
.
What a way to start 35! I think I will be a little bit more cautious about my birthday wish next year.





5 comments:
What a, um...nice birthday? Without the sickness it sounds lovely - sorry you both became ill, but wow - what a Mom. I want one of those :D - we never had anyone to help like that [and we live[d] within 7 miles of both Moms and a sister, ha!]
Well, you can look at it this way - you start year 35 with a "clean slate" heehee.
Oh, and btw - color me SHOCKED that you are 35 - I thought you were in you mid 20s, seriously.
Have a great year sweetie!
I know your birthday is on the 20th and I keep seeming to forget. Happy Belated Birthday. I think after all you went through that we need to go and get pedicures. :)
oh man, Amy...i am so sorry you got so sick! not fair! but i also am glad you got to have such a great time before that came down...
that stinks!!!
I was laughing sooo hard..sorry...at your expense! I turn 35 next week too so I know the feeling! Just in case...where did u eat that night so I don't go there...just in case!
Post a Comment