Friday, January 21, 2011

January 20, 2011

It's painful to think that this little guy....



Is now this boy. No longer little boy. Just boy.


We started out the all-day celebration eating a traditional donut breakfast, with a side of shredded wheat.

Then it was off to his classroom to deliver treats. If you know me, you know I try to be Martha Stewart when it comes to stuff - well, some stuff. Thomas wasn't going for it this year. I searched the Internets for cute cupcake ideas, one that would wow the teachers and anybody I passed in the hallway heading to his room. Two days before his birthday, he decided he wanted Ding-Dongs brought to his classroom. As in my-mom-phones-it-in-ding-dongs. So I had to walk down the hallway in his school with a Wal-Mart sack full of Ding-Dongs. Oh the shame.

He couldn't have been more happy when Clara and I arrived. He was thrilled to have us visit, and beyond happy to pass out Ding Dongs to his classmates.

When we arrived, Clara went and sat with him at his desk. Thomas then gave her his birthday pencil his teacher had given him. He also gave her is Capri Sun.

After school we picked up Grandma and ate lunch at Sweet Tomatoes. Thomas feasted on a plate of cheese, olives, jello, and a baked potato. I wish I would have taken my camera. Grandma made him the most awesome wooden doghouse to keep all his stuffed dogs in. He has a thing for dogs right now. I wish we could get him a real dog, but 1/2 of our family has been cursed with allergies.

When we got home, I started decorating his cake - a dog cake. I was working on the crumb coat when he came down and asked if he could help. At first I said that it was kind of hard and that he could watch, then I caught myself being a perfectionist and handed him the decorating bag. I was so proud of myself for giving up control. Him and I had a great time decorating HIS cake and talking while he created. I think those 30 minutes were the best 30 minutes of the entire day.

Then Clara joined us.

Is this not the BEST cake ever? I love it more than words can express.

Daddy got off work early and we went to In-and-Out Burger for dinner. After dinner we came home, opened presents and then ate some cake.

It was a perfect day for a perfect little boy.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Such a cute memory in photo and narration. What a fun day for him - and such a stretch for you! I get the whole "impress the teachers with your magical powers of decorating" sacrifice. But sometimes, a ding dong will do. Hats off to ya, mom!

Southhamsdarling said...

What an absolutely wonderful way to spend a birthday. Well done you for helping Thomas decorate the cake! It is so cute! All the photos (as always) were stunning. I loved little Clara's face in the one where she is holding Thomas's pencil from the teacher, and also adored the one of them both cuddling. They both look good enough to eat!

SkippyMom said...

You tell Thomas that he can decorate my next cake - his IS perfect - I LOVE IT!

It sounds like an absolute perfect day. Really Amy - it made me a little misty reading it. So sweet.

Now - when you read this comment please sing to Thomas from the Skippyfamily:

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear THOMAS, Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuu!"

Hugs and very much love!

Michelle said...

I love your kids! Thomas is such a sweet boy! I love that he shared his pencil with Clara... that picture of them together at the desk is great! The cake did turn out perfectly, too. Kuddos to you for making his birthday about him! What a lucky boy he is to have a mom like you. :)

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday Thomas! I love the cake. And I like that you all celebrate with just the family. I like those birthdays the best!!! (but I don't know if my girls do)

Darrell and Alissa said...

Unfortunately each birthday gets harder and harder- it goes by so fast! Love the cake- letting go of control is incredibly hard for me too!