Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Remorial Day

No, that is not a typo. Thomas has been calling it Remorial Day all day long. Last night Steve explained to him that we remember soldiers who have fought for out country, and also remember loved ones that have passed on. Somehow his brain rolled remember and Memorial into one happy word. I declare that it will now always be called Remorial Day in our home.


We spent the day over at the cemetery remembering our loved ones. We remembered Steve's brother Chuck who was killed in a bicycle accident when he was 26. We told the kids about Our their cousin, Erin, who only survived 2 days after being born with an unexpected heart defect. Finally we visited my Dad's grave. That was a hard one. It's been almost 7 years, but for some reason it's been hurting a little more lately. I think it is because I really wish he was around to spend time with our kids. My dad also served in the Army (he told me he was a spy, but I found out after he died that being a spy and working in intelligence is not the same thing) so he got a little extra pat on the "back" today.





As we were walking down the path, we came across this penny. In our family we have had a tradition since my Dad passed away. My Dad's cousin gave us a poem the day we buried my Dad. This was the poem:



I found a penny today,

Just laying on the ground.

But it's not just a penny,

This little coin I found.

Found Pennies come from Heaven,

That's what my Grandpa told me.

He said that Angels toss them down.

Oh, how I loved that story.

He said when they misses you,

They just toss a penny down.

Sometimes just to cheer you up,

To make a smile out of your frown.

So don't pass that penny,

when your feeling blue.

It may be a penny from heaven,

That and angel tossed to you.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the picture with Thomas and the flag! The poem made me cry :) Thanks for sharing.

SkippyMom said...

Wonderful poem - nice to have a new way to look at a found penny. :D

Beautiful post.

Christine said...

What a beautiful post - from top to bottom. Thank you for sharing it all with us.

Ginger said...

That poem actually got me teary-eyed. Especially that you mention it as you were leaving the cemetary. So touching.

Anonymous said...

Much better here--I don't see Goosebumps written all over these pictures. :)