Friday, May 14, 2010

If I were to ever write an advice column...

and someone were to write in and ask me the following question, I am pretty sure I would be able to give some sound counsel.

Dear Amy,

What are your feelings on letting your children sleep in your bed during nap time? Thank you in advance for your advice. I know that you are so knowledgeable when it comes to parenting dilemmas.

Sincerely,
Jane Doe

Dear Jane,

I too have wrestled with that quandary. When I was a wee one I loved to take siestas in my parents bedroom. It was always thrilling to sleep in a HUGE bed with down comforters and tons of pillows. However, now that I am a parent I understand how risky it is to allow your children to sleep in you room - especially unsupervised. You should also realize that you are playing with fire when you allow your children to sleep in your bed just feet away from the master bathroom. You need to understand that the master bathroom is nothing more than a treasure trove of forbidden objects. Speaking from experience, one afternoon I allowed my child to sleep in my bed. This was the same day that I had decided to get rid of all my old makeup and start fresh. I was trying to get myself organized and decided to leave all my new make-up on the counter until I found the perfect cosmetic case. When nap time rolled around all I could think about was getting the children to sleep. I easily gave in when my daughter said, "I seep in mommy's bed." I was not thinking about the make-up I had left within reach. Needless to say, when it was too quiet too soon after leaving her alone I had a feeling that bad things were happening. I was right.

So, to answer your question...No, don't let them sleep in your bed. But, if it the only way to get them to take a nap, by all means let them have at it. We all know that as Moms, 2 hours of quiet time is worth a little lipstick on the old rug.
Yours Truly,
Dear Amy

5 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Ouch! Puts a whole new spin on the question of allowing your kids to sleep in your bed.

Our youngest never got into the bathroom to play while napping in our bed but I did walk in on her CHEWING on our cherry footboard of our sleigh bed. No, I am not kidding. LOL and of course it is on my side, so everytime I look down at my feet I see the lovely gnaw marks in the wood. Sigh.

ps - I am not a spelling nazi and would never be one to you, but your finger slipped sweetie and you added an extra letter - it is "an advice" column - not "and" in the title.

Nice to see you back - I was thinking about you yesterday and was coming over to check on you :D

Rebecca said...

Thank goodness my son has no interest in taking naps, sleeping in my bed, or wearing make-up!

I do have a friend who had this exact same thing occur in her RENTAL home - and - well, I don't think she ever got all of her BRAND NEW lipstick out of the carpet. However, she used the money she made selling her child on ebay to buy new carpet.

Sigh... On the bright side of life - my son IS studying to become a school principal. I say that - because he spent all day Thursday in the principal's office. Don't we all love our children?

I'm glad nobody has perfect children!

(disclaimer - my friend did not really sell her child - but probably thought about it!)

Lisa Mc said...

Clara is so dang cute! How can you get mad at that face! This is one of those situations youlive and learn! try soil love on it!

Anonymous said...

cute post. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I just wish I could figure out how to remove red lipstick from white furniture...
Now that I wrote that I'm embarrassed to admit that I own a white piece of furniture. So 90's. Oh well.
By the way, next time I have a parenting dilema I think I will submit my question to the dear Amy column. I like it, because at the very least I know your answer would make me laugh!!

Michelle said...

Sorry, that last comment was from me. I'm using my mom's computer and I guess she was signed in to blogger!