Today was a huge wake up call. It's not any news, but when I was pregnant with Clara I was blessed with the lovely temporary disorder of Gestational Diabetes. For lack of a better term, it sucked! I had to be on a very strict diet. I had to watch everything I put in my mouth and I had to test my blood sugars 4 times a day. I did very well with the diet and actually was able to control my sugars with just my diet and exercise. It was hard, but it was easy because I was doing it for my baby. At my 6 week check-up my OB told me to watch it because women with a history of GD have 50% chance of developing it later on in life. I thought to myself, "Oh, that's not me. My mama always told me I'm special, so I am exempt from that group. I will be in the 50% that dodge the disease."
I guess I am not that special. Boo-hoo.
Last week I had to go have a blood test done to see how my blood sugars were doing. I have been testing them on my own, and they have been in the normal range. The test I had done is a "snapshot" of how I have controlled my BS (that's Blood sugar, not Bull s*#@) for the past 30 days. Anything below a 6.0 is non-diabetic range. My level was 5.7! Yes, only .3 away from being considered a diabetic. I am still considered non-diabetic, but the little 'X' on the chart was in the box right next to the high range. This is when my heart started to pound and I saw the freedom of what I wanted to eat being taken from me.
Now, let me tell you about how I have been eating the last 30 days. Actually, lets just back it up. Let me tell you about how I have been eating since I was told in the delivery room the diabetes was gone and I could eat anything I wanted. I have been eating so much sugar and basically anything I wanted. I have been using the nursing excuse. I am seriously out of control and I need to get myself in check.
It's time to face the music. I need to loose some weight. I need to start exercising. So here's what I am starting. I am starting a new blog (I wish that alone would make me loose a quick 15 lbs). It is called "Loosing the Junk in my Trunk." I am going to post recipes, my work-outs, and use it as a weight loss journal / resource. I actually want to open it up to any of my friends or readers of this blog who want to post to it. You can be an author on it, too! It's not just my blog, its our blog. Just email me or post a comment and let me know you want to participate and I will set you up. (disclaimer: I am not calling any of my friends fat, I think you are all beautiful)I think it will be fun if we do this together.






6 comments:
I think it would be so easy to eat whatever you wanted after being on such a restricted diet for so long during the pregnancy. I would have done the same thing. Sorry about the news, though. Sounds like you are stopping it before it strikes again, though. Good luck!!!
Sign me up!!! I so need to loose a few pounds.
I want in too. I am trying to lose 15 lbs. I tried to stop drinking my Dr. P but I totally fell off the wagon and drank three, yes three yesterday! WE should support each other in this. I'm in.
I'm in. I sooooo need to lose weight and it would be helpful to have some encouragement and friendship along the way. I have gained like 20 since I had my baby. You can't blame that on having a baby, now can you.
You are an inspiration Amy! Way to take the bull by the horns so to speak. You can sign me up. I love healthy recipes!
I'm in! Can I please join up on your bloggy blog?
Post a Comment