Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My fantasy vacation arrived today.


Look what was in my mailbox today! This was that apron that Sarah made for me. I love it! She is so clever!


My fantasy vacation was to take the kids to Disneyland. I know, not really a fantasy. Let me explain...

Last year Steve and I decided to take Thomas to Disneyland for one last vacation as an only child. We were really excited to take him. We thought that 2 3/4 was the perfect age. He watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV every morning and he was really "into" everything Disney. We booked a suite at the Hyatt and bought 2 day park-hopper passes.

We arrived at the Hotel and Thomas saw the gold statue of Mickey in the lobby. He was beside himself and just wanted to stand and admire his buddy. That night we went to bed and around 2 am there was a LOUD buzzing noise. Both Steve and I jumped up and tried to figure out where it was coming from. The phone wasn't making the noise, it wasn't the alarm clock...it was the fire alarm, it took us a minute to figure it out. (In our defense, it was the middle of the night and I was 7 months prego, my mind wasn't working right). We threw on our clothes and grabbed Thomas in a blanket and made our way downstairs with all the other guests. By the time we made it down the MANY flights of stairs, the alarm had stopped. We made our way back upstairs, after showing Thomas the Fire Engine and trying to make the whole experience exciting rather than terrifying. The next morning we found out that someone was in the elevator smoking and it set off the alarm. Brilliant.


The next day, we made our way over to the park. Thomas was getting excited. He was thrilled to ride the Disneybus that picked us up from the Hotel to take us to the park. We entered the Magic Kingdom and decided to start off at the California Adventure Park. The first ride we went on was the Monster, Inc ride. Thomas loved the movie and we thought it would be fun to see the characters come to life. Little did I know how utterly wrong we were. We got on the ride, it was dark, and all of a sudden alarms started going off (nothing like a little alarm to re-stimulate terror). Thomas was TERRIFIED to put it mildly. We spent the whole ride trying to calm him down. After the ride ended, we got him in control and decided it was best to just walk around and see the sights. Eventually we tried to go on another ride and just started crying and trembling again. He was so afraid of the rides and would not ride anything but King Arthur's Carousel, Dumbo, Teacups and the Bugs Life kiddy rides. Never before had I seen $250 flush down the toilet so fast. We spent 2 days walking around the park just looking at things. I mentioned I was huge and pregnant, which even added to the fun.


So, my friends (and apron friends wondering why in the world I would want to go to Disneyland on a fantasy vacation). That is why I chose that destination. I want do-overs. I want to take Thomas again and give him the trip that we imagined and created in our heads. I spent my childhood going to Disneyland because my Grandpa worked there, so it was a family thing. I want him to have the same feelings I have for the park. Unfortunately, Steve has made a vow that he is not taking our kids again until the youngest is 5. I keep thinking maybe one day I will trick him into going, but he is pretty smart. I don't think it will happen.

Until then, I will just wear my Mickey apron and dream of the day when it will happen.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Bring the kids out and we will brave it together .... I want my kids to have the same feeling, but I don't get there near as much as I want to!

i said...

I love reading your posts..."someday your prince will come" and actually enjoy it! Until then...that apron is DANG cute! I wish I got into sewing cause they are sooo great (and i'm too cheep top pay fancy crafters to make them for me!

Debye said...

So adorable, you deserved a great apron and got just that!!! Hopefully the next trip will go A LOT better!

Jen Sue Wild said...

This apron Rocks!! I was wondering who would end up with it!!
You are a Lucky girl!!