Thursday, September 18, 2008

oh ***#@!&^


This afternoon, we were at Café Rio (my nemesis). I was buckling Thomas into his car seat while he was wearing a balloon tied around his wrist. When I tried getting his arm in, I realized I was going to have to get the string untied - the knot that I made sure I tied super-duper strong so his balloon wouldn’t go flying into the air when we went outside.

Me: Oh, crap! I can’t get this balloon off.
Thomas: Mom, we don’t say crap in this family.
Me: Your right, Thomas. I am sorry, I shouldn‘t have said that.
Thomas: We don’t say crap, stupid, shut-up, or fat.

It was one of those mom moments where I had to bite back the laughter. I love his little list of no-no words he keeps on hand for moments like this. He knows he is not allowed to say these words, and 92.75% of the time he is pretty obedient about it. When he has caught Steve, me, or even Grandma Barb (just once, she's a pretty decent lady) saying one of these choice expressions, he has called us on it with extreme glee. I think he rejoices because he gets to now say the offensive remark without fear of getting reprimanded.

Oh, why can‘t he say fat? A couple of weeks ago I made the mistake of asking him if I looked pretty or fat in my dress for church. He said fat. I made a new rule right then and there; No Saying Fat. He took me seriously, so I am just going to continue letting him think it is a bad word.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Be grateful you only have to worry about a few words (at least for now!) Mikey called one of Pat's friends a "dumb ass." Luckily, this guy is super cool, and tells everyone that will listen. I guess it's funny when it's not your kid that says it!

The Bohne's said...

Levi will ask if certain words are "bad words", which they usually are. Then he will say things like "son of a...", and say atleast I didn't say "b---". It totally cracks me up and I have a hard time getting mad.

Karen said...

My lovely little angel daughter went up to my mom and said, "Grandma, you are so fat." I had to give her a loving talk why that wasn't nice. My mom is a great sport and wasn't upset one bit. What if she had said it to someone else? Oh, the joy of young children, they are just so honest. :)

Ginger said...

I have to say that one of my highlights of reading blogs is coming to yours and seeing what Thomas has said today. That boy is a multitude of one-liners. I can't get over how bright he is!

Me said...

you potty mouth!

I think it is hilarious when they say "we're not allowed to say..." and proceed to say all the words they are not allowed to say.

Sarah C said...

I love all of the fun stories you post about your kids. It will be so fun for them to look back when they are older and have a record of all of these events! You inspired me start a notebook of funny things my little cousin says and does. I cant wait to bring it out in 10 years when she is a teenager and share with her the funny things she did.