Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pin a bonnet on me and call me Rachel

For some reason, I am fascinated with the Amish. When I was 22 I had to opportunity to go on a church history tour with some friends. I think I was just as excited to go to "Amish Land" as anywhere else on the tour. I think the lifestyle is very interesting, and I also have quite a bit of respect for the people.
Quite a few years ago, Steve and I went to Delaware with some friends. We were staying right next to an Amish community. I was so excited to go to one of the stores they had. From what I remember, this was not your typical tourist store, it was a genuine store on Amish land. While I was there I picked up a cookbook. Inside the book there was a recipe for some rolls, I made them and they were amazing. I started making them all the time. Whenever we had a family dinner or somewhere to go, I was asked to make them. Eventually, got tired of making them and moved on to other recipes.
Recently, I pulled out the recipe and started making them again. I had forgotten how good they were. Last night we had the Sister Missionaries over for dinner, so I made them once again. They were a hit. There was only one left when Steve came home from work (the sisters needed to eat early, so he was unable to get home on time).
Here is the recipe.
Amish Rolls
2 tbsp. yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
Dissolve yeast and 1 tbsp sugar in 1/4 cup water, let stand for about 10 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except flour. Mix well. Add 2 cups four. Beat 1 minute. Gradually stir in remaining flour. Knead until smooth and elastic (or just use the kitchen aid like me). Let rise until double in bulk. Punch down; make into rolls. Let rise in pan until double in bulk. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Take them out when they are golden brown. Spread tops with butter and serve with honey butter.
Honey Butter
1 cube butter
1/4 cup marshmallow cream
1/3 cup honey

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look so good. I am going to have to try to make them. I am horrible at baking.

Good job

nickel... said...

I'm soo intimidated by bread making, but I might give these a try!

Speaking of Amish...have you ever heard of a documentary about their "rumspringer" tradition called "devil's playground"? Its crazy interesting! For all of you that have no idea what I'm talking about...Google it. Its really crazy.
Those Amish and their intriguing ways!

Anonymous said...

We can vouch for these rolls! They are the BEST. I had copied the recipe a long time ago and when I found it the other day, it was not a complete recipe. I must have been interrupted. So glad to have it. Thanks, Amy. Rachel has nothing on you!.

Your Rhodes fans.

Karen said...

I think I will try my new Bosch and make some rolls...

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Cathy,
Yes, I saw that documentary a few years ago. I thought it was pretty interesting. Now that you mentioned it, I want to watch it again. Maybe we should have a rumspringer party. We can eat rolls and tie quilts.

Karen-
I am so jealous you got bosch. No fair!

Karen said...

I went on Ebay and found one for $350 after shipping with a blender attachment. I splurged for my birthday! :)