Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 5 - What you love to hate about them

When I first read this assignment I knew there was only one thing I could post about. The tooth.
.
When Thomas was 22 months old he broke his front tooth. This wasn't a cute little chip that could be overlooked, it was a huge C-shaped chip out of the left corner of his right tooth. It left a point on the bottom that I thought for sure would puncture his lip before we had the chance to repair it.
.
There is a lot of debate as to how his tooth actually broke. Both things happened within minutes of each other. It could either by my fault or Steve's fault - or a combination of the two. Thomas was sitting on the edge of our kitchen table next to Steve. For some reason he fell off the table - with a perfectly capable adult sitting right next to him! About 10 minutes after he had calmed down he was playing with my large exercise ball. For some reason, as I walked by I kicked it. I did not realize the moment I kicked the ball was the same moment my darling, perfect son decided to do a face plant into the ball. Me kicking the ball + Him doing a face plant into the ball = A face first fall onto the wood floor. I scooped him up and held him. I felt so bad. When he finally calmed down he looked at me and smiled. At that moment I about lost my lunch. I am abnormally squeamish about broken teeth.
.
He had the tooth fixed the next morning and all was well with the world once again. Then the temporary fell off about 6 months later leaving him with the same C-shaped chip. We saw a dentist once again and they said they could place a cap over the tooth. They said it would look great. For some reason I believed them. I will never forget the morning that Steve brought him home from the dentist. I was laying on the couch trying to talk myself out of morning sickness. Thomas came walking over to me with a smile on his face so he could show me the new tooth. He had this fluorescent white billboard with a silver back as a replacement for his tooth. It looked awful. I had a really hard time getting use to it. I HATED it.
.
That was 3 1/2 years ago. Since then it has blended in. You can still tell that it is a fake tooth, but he works it. I have gotten use to it - it's a part of him that I love. It's part of his smile, and what's not to love about his smile? I know the life of the tooth is coming to an end. He is 6, the prime age for losing teeth. It's going to be a sad day when that little thing falls out.

4 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

Another super little photo! I bet that was painful for your little lad when it happened. It's so awful when your little ones knock themselves like that. I can still remember when my daughters were young and they both (at different times) cut open their heads, and that sick feeling that you get is just awful! Fortunately they have lived to tell the tale!!

Kim said...

Great shot! Both of my BB's two front baby teeth were chipped. We have NO idea how it happened. I think they were actually just worn down. But like you described, they were c-shaped. We never got them fixed. The dentist said it wasn't necessary. I think she actually looked cute with them like that. :)

Meagan At Fairly Fabulous said...

Great shot! I clicked over from willette's day 3 looking for then and now inspiration. Your foot shot really struck me- this one is amazing, too! What do you shoot with? thanks for sharing and inspiring. -meagan (at) www.stayathomemeagan.blogspot.com

Multibeavo said...

Great photo! My son broke his adult tooth and I about had a nervous breakdown when it happened, so I know how you feel!