Thursday, June 26, 2008

Things I do instead of cleaning the house.

One of my favorite things to do is sew. I have room in the house that I have commandeered as my sewing room much to Steve's dismay. It is usually a disaster. Fabric swatches laying on the floor, thread interwoven into the carpet and pins hap-hazardly thrown about. I have recently joined a couple of sewing blogs and I love to surf around and see what the other ladies are up to. I figured I needed to post a few of my recent projects, too. I am always in the middle of making some sort of dress for Clara, and I also have quite a few aprons I am working on for swaps. I will post those as I finish them.


I love the orange flower dress, but unfortunately it was too big for Clara by the time I finished it. I made it according to the pattern, but for some reason it turned out way too big. I didn't finish hemming it because I figure it will fit her next summer and I can hem it according to her height then.

Clara had the cutest little backside when she wore the hippy pants. I bought a pattern for these britches and bloomers a few months ago and made several outfits for baby showers I was attending, but never got around to making a pair for Clara. I finally made her these and she was only able to wear them 1-2 times before it got too hot. Hopefully it will be cool enough to wear them when we go up North to see Steve's family.

I absolutely fell in love with the blue dot fabric. I found it at my favorite fabric boutique and could strangle myself for not buying more. They are completely sold out now and I want more! This dress is a little big for her, but I made her wear it anyways.


The flowered dress was the inspiration for the blue dress that I made. My friend, Cathy, saw some of my clothes at a baby shower and said that they reminded her of Mini-Boden. She forwarded me a link and I fell in love with this flowered dress. I figured I could find a pattern and make it myself. I did find a pattern that was similar, but I got it home and realized it was a size 4-5-6. Way to big for my baby! I had given up until I found an outfit made by Carters at Costco. It was just a little balloon onsie, but it had the neckline I wanted. I bought the jumper and brought it home. I studied it and figured out how to make the neckline one my own. I then used the pillow-case-dress tutorial to make the body of the dress. I think it turned out great for not having a pattern. I picked the fabric because I love Amy Bulter's line and I fell in love with the blues in this dress.


This was my most recent baby shower bundle. I made it for my friend Jamie (sorry, she's private) and her little baby boy who will be born pretty soon. The "Giddy-Up" thing on the bottom was a burpie. I think everything turned out really cute.

I am going to be opening a store on Etsy to sell the baby bundles. I will also be selling everything as individual items, too. I will add a link as soon as I am up and running.

11 comments:

Luke and Mel said...

Wow! I had no idea you could sew like that. I guess I should have paid more attention when I was doing my Personal Progress:)in Young Women's. Those are some adorable clothes!
-Melissa (Larson)P.

Danielle said...

Those are incredible! It makes me want to blow the dust off of my sewing machine ... if only I could learn how to thread it!!! :)

i said...

You've got some skills...If my dryer ate one of those I would be ticked off! Gorgeous. Lucky shower gift recipients!

Me said...

holy cow Amy! I thought the outfits for Colby were awesome, then you show us all this too! You have serious, serious skills. I want to be crafty & sew-y. please help a Holly out.

Me said...

hey, it just put my comment on there right after I saved it. did you turn off the moderator thing?

The Piet Girls said...

Those are beautiful! I think that sewing is 10000 times better than cleaning the house. When you sew you feel like you accomplish something. Cleaning is futile!

Anonymous said...

You should go into business and start selling them. They are so cute.

Merrill Family said...

So cute! Morgan got a sewing machine for christmas last year and we he done a few things but nothing as cute as these. Our next projects are aprons for the kids, I would love to see yours when you get them finished. Great job, the dresses are my favorite. Almost makes me want a baby girl to dress up again.

Karen said...

It looks like you took your bag skills and put it into dress/outfits. So adorable. Katelyn's birthday is coming up, hint hint!! :)

Jamie Lynn said...

First of all, Colby's outfit didn't just turn out "cute"....I think it is my most FAVORITE thing that I got!!!! He will wear it until it can't be worn any longer!! I LOVE it......thanks again a million times over! I'll post a pic (and let you have one for your blog) when I finally get him in it. I'm so glad that you are sharing your talents with all of us! Too bad I don't live down there, I would love to have a "sewing day" with you! LOVE the blue dress........great job! I can't wait to see what you do with your Etsy shop!

Anonymous said...

Okay...now you have to choose. Clara can either have the best hair or the best clothes - NOT BOTH. What is there left for Ashton!